Fallacies and Assumptions Encyclopaedia Britannica (2006) defines a fallacy in logic as "erroneous reasoning that has the appearance of soundness." Generally, when we think about making decisions, most people believe that they are making logical decisions....
Here are 26 logical fallacies— with a brief description and example of each— that can send ethical reasoning off track. No one is magically immune to them. They trip up all of us at one time or another.
Examples of rhetorical fallacy within the Watchtower - …
If all evidence in an argument appears to be true, still the disputation may be invalid if the logic utilized is not sanctioned (“Logical Fallacies,” 2014).
A List Of Fallacious Arguments - Don Lindsay Archive
Examples: "If the government allows psychologists to prescribe medications there will be no basis to block them from obtaining competence and legal authority to conduct other traditionally medical procedures such as diagnosing minor skin irritations, treating a sprained ankle, setting a broken bone, and performing neurosurgery." Or: "Never reduce a fee for any patient for any reason or else you'll find yourself constantly reducing fees for everyone, everyone will take advantage of you, your patients will lose respect for you and for therapy, and you'll loose money and go bankrupt."
Logical Lallacy Defined With Examples - …
He committed suicide!
- Oriana FallaciKhomeini was not a puppet like Arafat or Qaddafi or
the many other dictators I met in the Islamic world.
He was a sort of Pope, a sort of king -
a real leader.
- Oriana FallaciArafat contradicts himself every five minutes.
He always plays the double-cross, lies even if you ask him what time it is.
- Oriana FallaciWojtyla was a warrior, who did more to end the Soviet Union than even America.
- Oriana FallaciWhen my father was arrested, we didn't know where they had him.
My mother found him at the house of torture.
It was called Villa Triste.
- Oriana FallaciI don't want to hear about my death.
- Oriana FallaciThe Muslims refuse our culture and try to impose their culture on us.
I reject them, and this is not only my duty toward
my culture-it is toward my values,
my principles, my civilization.
- Oriana FallaciWar is something Arafat sends others to do for him.
That is, the poor souls who believe in him.
This pompous incompetent caused the failure of the Camp David negotiations,
- Oriana FallaciScience is simply common sense at its best,
that is, rigidly accurate in observation,
and merciless to fallacy in logic.
- Thomas HuxleyYou can't recover memories of a missing event.
That's a fallacy.
- Betty HillAll violent feelings have the same effect.
They produce in us a falseness in all our impressions of external things,
which I would generally characterize as the pathetic fallacy.
- John RuskinDemocracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy.
- Benito MussoliniA sane mind should not be guilty of a logical fallacy,
yet there are very fine minds incapable of following
- Henri PoincareThe moment-of-conception fallacy implies that fertilization
is a simple process with never a doubt as to whether
it has or has not happened.
- George C.
What are common logical fallacies in ..
WilliamsPeople assume that because you have graced the same stage as the star act,
in front of thousands, you must be reaping similar financial rewards.
This is a complete fallacy.
- John BarrowI think it's a fallacy that the harder you practice the better you get.
- Buddy RichThe third fallacy is that affirmative action doesn't work.
- Harold WashingtonAn expert is a person who avoids the small errors while
sweeping on to the grand fallacy.
- Steven WeinbergMany people tend to look at programming styles and
languages like religions:
if you belong to one,
you cannot belong to others.
But this analogy is another fallacy.
- Niklaus WirthThe belief that youth is the happiest time of life is founded on a fallacy.
The happiest person is the person who thinks the most interesting thoughts,
and we grow happier as we grow older.
- William Lyon PhelpsThe idea that a war can be won by standing on the defensive
and waiting for the enemy to attack is a dangerous fallacy,
which owes its inception to the desire to evade the price of victory.
- Douglas HaigSee, even despite pious statements to the contrary,
much of the industrialized world has not yet come to
terms with the recognition of the fallacy of what I
call the strong man syndrome.
- Wole SoyinkaThat fallacy flies in the face of studies that show,
every day, in every way, things are getting a little
worse for America's minorities relative to the progress
made by those in the top percentiles of assets and income.
- Harold WashingtonNow, then, in order to understand white supremacy we
must dismiss the fallacious notion that white people
can give anybody their freedom.
- Stokely CarmichaelNothing is more fallacious than wealth.
It is a hostile comrade, a domestic enemy.
- John ChrysostomAll formal dogmatic religions are fallacious and must
never be accepted by self-respecting persons as final.
- HypatiaThe laws of probability, so true in general,
so fallacious in particular.
- Edward GibbonHuman memory is a marvelous but fallacious instrument.
The memories which lie within us are not carved in stone;
not only do they tend to become erased as the years go by,
but often they change, or even increase by incorporating extraneous features.
- Primo Levi"It's not that important,
don't worry about it" is the answer,
now what was the question?
- Jonathan Lockwood HuieI always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I
should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin(Groom), take (Bride)'s hand and place your hand over hers.
Now, remember this moment and cherish it...
because this will be the last time you ever have the upper hand.
- AnonymousMy grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty.
She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is.
- Ellen DeGeneresNow, if you don't mind, I'd appreciate it if you could lower your wand.
- the movie Harry Potter and the Prisoner of AzkabanI never expected to see the day when girls would get
sunburned in the places they now do.
- Will RogersToday is the bridge between acceptance and faith.
- Jonathan Lockwood HuieAll you need is love.
But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
- Charles M.