God made his plan of salvation known since the very beginning, and he made it so simple that even a child could understand and receive the transforming power of God's promise and the Holy Spirit.
They should help you understand Christianity and the meaning of life. Note carefully: No teaching anywhere on this web site isintended or should ever be construed to justify or to in any way incite or encourage personalvengeance or physical violence against any person. Free newsletter: government, religion, morality, & family - or If you find our Bible study materials helpful and if youhave a web site, please add the following link to your site:
Scripture quotations are generally from the New King JamesVersion (NKJV), copyright 1982, 1988 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.
Free Advanced Bible Study on Spiritual Gifts
A. Old Testament
1. Heb. words - deliverance, help, salvation - Ps. 37:39; 38:22; 51:12,14;
Isa. 30:15; 43:11; Jere. 23:6.
(Name of "Jesus" derived from this Hebrew root - Matt. 1:21)
2. Heb. word - to escape, to be safe - Ps. 116:4; Jere. 51:45
3. Heb. word - to deliver, free, pull out - Prov. 14:21
4. Jewish concept of "salvation"
a. predominantly physical deliverance - national, individual
b. usually projected such in the future
c. looked forward to Messianic deliverance and salvation
B. New Testament
1. Greek words (107), (46), (24), (4), (1), (8)
a. Get theological term "soteriology" - study of salvation
2. Range of meaning in Greek - physical safety, cure or healing from illness, rescue, deliverance, liberation, protection, keep alive, keep in good health, preserve well-being, benefit, develop wholeness or peace, make secure, bring victory
a. to make safe danger, peril, judgment
b. to make safe fhealth, benefit, victory
c. Wm. Barclay - "most common meaning - bodily health"
3. Greeks applied "savior" to their gods, philosophers and politicians
4. Christian concept of "salvation" invested words with new meaning
a. predominantly spiritual deliverance and function
b. based on the Person and work of Jesus Christ
c. primarily a present experience with future consummation
5. Representative usages
Matt. 1:21 - "you shall call His name Jesus...He will save His people from their sins"
John 3:17 - "that the world should be saved through Him"
Acts 4:12 - "salvation in no one else; no other name by which we must be saved"
Rom. 1:16 - "gospel...the power of God for salvation to every one who believers"
Rom. 5:10 - "we shall be saved by His life"
Rom. 10:9 - "confess Jesus as Lord...you shall be saved..."
Eph. 2:8,9 - "by grace you have been saved through faith..."
I Thess. 5:9 - "God has destined us for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ"
I Tim. 1:15 - "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners"
Titus 1:4 - "God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior"
Titus 2:11 - "grace of God appeared, bringing salvation to all men"
I Pet. 1:5 - "a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time"
II Pet. 1:1 - "our God and Savior, Jesus Christ"